Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I LOVE......MEAT!!! (in my best austin powers goldmember voice)

So I'm sitting at work one day when I received an email from my good buddy Jay entitled "oh ya". I open it up and peer inside to see a hyperlink to the "Bacon Explosion" recipe. After reading the recipe it was clear that I HAD to make this right away (especially since Tara was not home and she will not touch pork)

Sooo.... The recipe calls for 2 lbs of bacon.. (yes that pounds with a "P") and 2 lbs of Italian turkey sausage. And that's pretty much it outside of some BBQ sauce and some BBQ rub.

So the recipe goes a little something like this...

Take strips of bacon and create a nice little weave pattern almost like your making a basket.. Keep it nice and tight because we do not want that bacon goodness to drip out of this thing. After your done..spread some of that homemade BBQ rub all over it. You may be asking yourself... "Self, that's not two pounds of bacon I just used, I have a lot left over?" Don't you worry your little head.. we will take care of it. It should look like the picture below.



Then if that were not enough artery clogging goodness for you.. your then going to take 2 lbs of Italian sausage and spread a nice little layer right on top of your bacon basket weaving project... ( I used mild Italian sausage and I think next time I'll use Hot Italian sausage)


Remember all that left over bacon we had.. Well now your going to cook it just like you would if you were having bacon and eggs. Crispy or soft how ever you like it. Now we are going to cut that into bite sized bits and sprinkle it all over our new sausage layer..Now it wouldn't be a BBQ without some BBQ sauce... So take your favorite BBQ sauce and sprinkle it on top of that, add some more of that BBQ rub and your almost done.


Now here is the tricky part.. we want to roll only that sausage up leaving our basket weaving project still flat. Roll it up nice and tight until you have a nice log of sausage. Pinch off the ends to seal in all those bacon bits. Now after you do that you are going to take our basket weaving project and roll it around our sausage log. Looks something like so.....

Now comes the fun part. We are going to smoke this over indirect heat at 225 degrees for 1hr per thickness of your log.. mine took about 3 hrs total. You want an internal temperature of 165 degrees. I smoked mine using pecan wood and it turned out great!! Here is the finished product after smoking it in my Big Green Egg.

Now when you slice it.. you do not want a thick slice! This is VERY rich.


I took it to work the next day to let some of the boys at work try some and it was GONE!.. This is such a great recipe but it is not for the faint of heart. Here is the link to the official recipe.
http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/print/bacon-explosion.html

3 comments:

Tara and Jeff said...

one word yuck!

Anonymous said...

This was wonderful, just a wonderful, smokey, bbq taste!!!

Margaux and Danny said...

that makes me want to vomit tara....